eat

Uncategorized

vienna :: pizza mari

I didn’t expect to have such a great pizza experience so soon after that phenomenal one in Lake Como, but here’s the proof. It happened at Pizza Mari

When I saw the instagram by my sister when she went to this place, I think I texted her and told her I had to go there – and my pizza-shaped dreams came true! We headed there for lunch with a lovely friend of hers, and were greeted by very friendly, smiley Italian boys.

My favourite kind of pizza is probably the bianca type – those without tomato sauce. Is that blasphemous? Not that I don’t love a good classic, but there is something quite decadent about these tomato-less creations.

Mine was topped with Italian sausage, lots of cheese, garlic cream and lots of rucola. It was honestly perfect – I couldn’t fault it. With thicker bases like these, I usually tend to leave most of the crust, but I just couldn’t with this – it was too good! I practically licked the plate clean.

Even though I was already suffering from a food baby by this point, I had spotted a special on the blackboard on my way in that I could not get out of my mind – Pistachio Panna Cotta. I mean, how do you turn that down?! We decided to share that and a chocolate almond cake, which were both delicious. The panna cotta was something special though – I wish I could have taken some home to London with me!

Does it not look like the best suspicious lump of green ever?

Who knew there was such an Italian gem in Vienna? You may not think of it as a huge hub for foodies, but this city certainly has a whole lot more to offer than schnitzels (although they have good schnitzels, which I’ll talk about later.)

• Reply Amanda

Pizza with thick crust is my favourite. As are pistachio desserts. This is probably one of my favourite of your food posts!

November 10, 2014 at 9:33 am
  • Reply Miranda | Miranda's Notebook

Oh wow, this just sounds *amazing*!!! I want to go have your exact same meal. It's perfect!

November 10, 2014 at 11:51 am
  • Reply shulikesclothes

I LOVE thick bases and this looks like heaven – fastracking Vienna to my list of places to visit now!

November 10, 2014 at 12:33 pm
  • Reply Chiara

You've really made me want a pizza now. And there's something about eating a pizza with rocket on it that makes it seem a little virtuous 🙂

November 10, 2014 at 1:58 pm
  • Reply Tamsin Lim

Oh my lord, that pistachio pannacotta. That's exactly what I'd have gone for too – it looks incredible! Love that the iPhone came out straight away to capture that vivid hue 🙂 I wouldn't have expected good pizza from Vienna, but it seems it has many strings to its bow…x

November 10, 2014 at 3:15 pm
  • Reply Marlen

Holy YUM, can I please come out with you and your sister next time? You ordered so many delicious things! I don't think I ever tried a bianca pizza, but just earing the words "garlic sauce" had my mouth watering. Who needs tomato sauce when you have that? And I'm not exactly sure what a Panna Cotta is but I need it in front of me and soon. Now I need to find someone to bully into getting Italian with me tonight ;)xo marlenMessages on a Napkin

November 10, 2014 at 3:55 pm
  • Reply Angie SilverSpoon

The crust looks so beautifully crisp…wow!! Lots of love,Angie SilverSpoon London

November 10, 2014 at 6:06 pm
  • Reply Valerie

My oh my! This pizza looks like my kind of pizza <3 In fact, you're making me crave one right now. Damn! xx

November 10, 2014 at 7:36 pm
  • Reply loveandlimoncello.com

The pizza looked so good, I actually cheated and scrolled all the down to see how come I hadn't found this gem and where in London it was. When I am next in Vienna this is so on my list! The rocket is calling me Miho. xx

November 10, 2014 at 9:26 pm
  • Reply Sophie

My goodness that all looks incredible!!! I love white-based pizzas too, but I find they can be SO disappointing and soggy and heavy when they're not done right … so when you live in a place like the Netherlands, you steer clear!

November 11, 2014 at 9:36 am
  • Reply Sharlynn Ng

That pizza looked soooo damn good! I would love to think that the love and care from the guys behind the counter made the food extra delicious! I would love to eat there!

November 11, 2014 at 5:03 pm
  • Reply Sarah Shumate

I love eating at pizza places when we travel – we've found some really good ones along the way! Your pizza here looks amazing. It's exactly the type of pizza I'd order since I love my pizza without tomato sauce, too. 🙂 And the pistachio panna cotta – oh my gosh. Anything pistachio flavored is typically a winner in my book!

November 11, 2014 at 7:55 pm

I also love biana pizzas/I trick myself into thinking those are healthier lol. But these look so super yummy! The dessert is really pretty too, although I don't really like pistachio in desserts.

November 13, 2014 at 8:49 pm
  • Reply To The River

For such a treat, tt s a beautiful feeling to see it again, not only on Instagram (-:

November 21, 2014 at 2:24 pm