eat

Uncategorized

Lake Como :: Villa Melzi & goodbye Dervio

This is the last of the Lake Como posts – sad face! It’s been wonderful for me to sort through my gazillion photos and document the trip on here.

Sentimentality aside, let’s get cracking.

On our very last day, we headed back to Bellagio to visit the famous gardens of Villa Melzi. As with most mornings, it was raining quite hard during our ferry ride there, but it started to clear up once we had started walking around the gardens. No wonder all the greenery keeps its colour!

The grounds and the buildings are quite the grandiose sight. The gardens are dotted with sculptures by notable artists from the 18-19th centuries, and it was a place where such creative souls (including Franz Liszt the composer) stayed and drew inspiration for their craft.

It was easy to imagine, amidst such beauty and understated glamour.

After our last hurrah in Villa Melzi, we reluctantly dragged our feet back on the ferry and headed back to Dervio, where we took a last walk along the lake and said our goodbyes.

I hope you’ve enjoyed having a peek into our holiday, and maybe inspired you to go if you haven’t been before – I promise you, you won’t be disappointed.

Ciao, Lago di Como!

• Reply Elizabeth Georgian

Gorgeous! That garden looks so peaceful.

September 28, 2014 at 9:03 am
  • Reply Ice Pandora

Thanks for sharing us your stay at Lake Como,I have never heard of this place before but thanks to you I really want to see it one day c:The greenery here is really gorgeous! Xx

September 28, 2014 at 2:48 pm
  • Reply jo

I'm thinking of visiting here with my boyfriend- do you think it suitable for couples in their early 20's (i'm only asking because i've had a 'mare on a previous trip where i think it was actually a saga excursion so am always keen to fit in with similar age brackets haha)

September 28, 2014 at 4:29 pm
  • Reply Setarra

How fortunate the sun decided to come out just when you arrived at the gardens! Absolutely gorgeous! Thank you for sharing these photos and a glimpse into your holiday. Isn't it so sad when the recapping of a trip has come to an end? This is probably why I've been milking out my euro-trip posts haha. I don't want to think of the trip as really over yet 🙂

September 29, 2014 at 1:57 am
  • Reply Valerie

Is it me or it's very rarely really sunny with a full blue sky in this part of Italy? Lovely photos by the way 🙂 As always, you only feed my wanderlust! xx

September 29, 2014 at 5:36 pm
  • Reply Kelven

Ahhh I have been wanting to visit Lake Como for a long time. I bet you think the pictures don't do it justice but these are fantastic.

September 30, 2014 at 12:29 am
  • Reply aki!

I'm going to someplace… that I think may be like this this weekend. I'm excited!7% Solution

September 30, 2014 at 4:19 am
  • Reply Tamsin Lim

I can't get enough of the Lake Como landscapes – those beautiful trees (cypresses?) at the Villa and those cloud-wreathed mountains are amazing. I especially love your wonderfully framed shot of the boat on the lakeside. I hope you both drew lots of creative inspiration from the Villa! Thanks again Miho, your posts have definitely convinced me that the Lake is one for the bucket list 🙂 xx

September 30, 2014 at 9:58 am

Um you've DEFINITELY inspired me to go here!! It looks like a dream! I'm sad these posts are done though. You have to go back so you can share more haha ;]

October 2, 2014 at 6:15 pm
  • Reply Emma

I'm sad that this is the last post – it looks absolutely beautiful!You've definitely given me wanderlust to go here 🙂

October 5, 2014 at 12:56 pm