noodles & mahjong night

The other night, we went over to C & J’s for an accidentally Chinese-themed evening (J is Chinese, as I’ve probably mentioned before – do you remember the feast he cooked for us?).

As soon as C said the word “noodles” I was in – I can’t live without those carb-y strands of goodness! (It’s impossible to describe noodles eloquently.)

She made Tantanmen, a spicy broth that’s sesame oil, soy milk, stock and often peanut based (though not in this version). She used this recipe from the same kooky but actually good cooking channel that I used for the steamed pork buns

How good do they look?! It was absolutely delicious. I’m definitely going to try making it myself – perfect for the upcoming colder months.

Of course, being the lovely hosts they are, they didn’t let the meal finish without dessert… chocolate cake with matcha green tea ice cream & berries.  Look at this presentation – I mean, C’s just showing off now isn’t she? She’s just making an extra effort for my blog (not really, she always makes her food look beautiful!).

And then we got our game faces on! It was my first time playing Mahjong, but I got the hang of it pretty quickly. Meaning I had no beginner’s luck whatsoever and lost big time. It’s a very fun game though, proven as such by our inability to stop playing until 3am… I don’t know how it happens, but time just seems to disappear when we’re with these two.

I plan to play it again and get my revenge – I’m an extremely sore loser. Maybe we’re just ageing, but game nights are way better than going out clubbing in my opinion!

• Reply Elizabeth Georgian

I love noodles and mahjong! I've only played a few times, but I won every time. I think I'll have to refresh my memory on the rules for the next time though 🙂

September 18, 2014 at 11:17 am
  • Reply bluester

aaaaah! The food, the food!!! C&J are such geniuses. TT and I are too scared to ever have you and E over! xx

September 18, 2014 at 12:13 pm
  • Reply Ice Pandora

Halleluya, handsdown for the dessert! It sure looks mouthwatering good c: you sure have lots of foodiefriends really! I once played Majong and I suckedtoo :c but it sure is a fun activity 😛 Xx

September 18, 2014 at 2:47 pm
  • Reply Jane

oh my gosh the noodles and dessert look so so good! the presentation is so pretty, too! i don't think i have never played mahjong before – only on video games 🙂

September 18, 2014 at 2:58 pm
  • Reply kylie

The food looks delicious – and I also love cookingwithdog!I love playing mahjong but I don't know how to count the scores so I always have to play with someone who knows how to haha.

September 18, 2014 at 3:42 pm
  • Reply kylie

(cookingwithdog being the youtube channel for anyone who reads my comment – don't misunderstand lol!)

September 18, 2014 at 3:43 pm
  • Reply OtherMix

The food looks very good! :]I never understood Mahjong ^^"

September 19, 2014 at 10:47 am
  • Reply Jesse Lili

Thank you for sharing that YouTube channel Miho, it's going straight to my bookmarks 🙂 Best, Jesse.

September 19, 2014 at 3:10 pm

Omg this looks so so so fun! I'm kinda a sore loser too…haha I'm not competitive at all but when I lose I get really upset. This transcends into sports that I watch on tv…I have actually cried over my (American) football team losing a really big game haha woops. Anyway your pictures are amazing as always and I am IN LOVE with your new layout!

September 19, 2014 at 6:03 pm
  • Reply miho

i thought it was a bit complicated at first, but once you get the gist it's not too bad! x

September 19, 2014 at 6:17 pm
  • Reply miho

excuse me, Miss i bake my own tortilla chips and delicious chocolate fondant, and Mr. i make my own homemade pasta?!! you guys rock in the kitchen! xx

September 19, 2014 at 6:19 pm
  • Reply miho

we really do! that's how we pick them 😉 i'm glad i'm not the only one who failed at this game haha. x

September 19, 2014 at 6:20 pm
  • Reply miho

we've since tried practising on apps but it's just not quite the same! it is definitely useful though 😉 x

September 19, 2014 at 6:20 pm
  • Reply miho

i thought i never would either! but it's fairly simple if you remember some of the characters i think x

September 19, 2014 at 6:21 pm
  • Reply miho

it's such a funny but honestly great one for recipes – very simple and straight forward 🙂 glad you like it! x

September 19, 2014 at 6:21 pm
  • Reply Tamsin Lim

C's tantanmen and dessert look totally professional (I'm dying for matcha ice cream and chocolate cake now and it's not even 10 AM!) – she should start her own noodles & pudding café 😀 My grandma is addicted to mahjong (the mark of a Chinese granny) but I've never really understood it. So nice that you have the sort of friends that the hours melt away with – and who are wonderful cooks! xx

September 20, 2014 at 8:59 am
  • Reply Sharlynn Ng

AhHHH! I LOVE all kinds of la mian! Especially the ones with meat sauces and chilli oils! The dessert looked amazing too! I don't know how to play the game but I'm glad you're having fun!

September 20, 2014 at 9:27 am