e cooks: a brunch fit for kings

I realise that there has been quite a few “E cooks” posts lately – and trust me, it’s not about to stop, because the man is seriously fired up in the kitchen at the moment. Cooking is a passion of his that’s only second to his career, so he likes to browse his cook books and try out recipes at every given opportunity. He’s had his eye on making a big brunch for us and our friends, so that’s exactly what he did.

Except it wasn’t so much a brunch, as a brunch/lunch/afternoon feast that left us in food comas for hours on end.

But lest you think that my husband is a miracle worker, he’s not. He’s a fantastic chef, but he’s still human. Human enough to have to attempt the hollandaise sauce 3 times, due to the sauce separating. Cue emergency runs for more eggs and butter.

The finished product was definitely worth it though – perfectly poached eggs on pan-toasted english muffins, with a generous helping of smoked salmon and (the third time lucky) hollandaise sauce.

As if that wasn’t decadent enough, we had homemade tagliatelle with mozzarella-stuffed meatballs. The meatballs were a combination of veal, pork and beef, and the cheese stuffing made it. The fresh pasta was flavoured with parsley and olive oil – carbs cure anything.

After some bubbly to wash it down, and sitting prepared with cups of espresso and tea, we unbuttoned our jeans for the finale – brioche french toast, soaked in crème anglaise, served with rhubarb and strawberry compote, topped with glazed blueberries. Phew.

It’s a hard job being a taste-tester for E’s culinary experiments, so thank you to C & J for being good sports and being great company!

I kid. (About the taste-tester part, not the great company part.) E knows that the way to my heart is through my stomach, and I’m okay with him exploiting that.

I thank him by posting about it on the blog. It’s a fair deal, isn’t it?

• Reply Ellie

Everything looks so lovely :')))

April 17, 2014 at 6:43 am
  • Reply Margo @ gutenblog yall!

Wow – what a man! He is seriously talented. Does he have a go-to cookbook? Those meatballs look heavenly.

April 17, 2014 at 8:13 am
  • Reply kylie

YUMMM! I haven't had breakfast OR lunch yet and this post is making me salivate! For some reason I can really picture him on Masterchef or a cooking programme of some sort. His food looks delicious!

April 17, 2014 at 10:11 am
  • Reply Jane

oh my gosh this is incredible. i love how your husband follows through on his passion. i think most of the time people have a certain interest but trying it and making it is hard to do! the meal looks amazing and the photos as well!

April 17, 2014 at 1:38 pm
  • Reply Sweet Alleyway (Kasia)

ohhh man! There are such a yummy things! I want to eat all of them!

April 17, 2014 at 4:12 pm
  • Reply Valerie

Oh my! Everything looks so good <3 xx

April 17, 2014 at 5:42 pm
  • Reply Camila Faria

What a fabulous feast! Everything looks soooo good. Now I'm hungry. Really hungry.

April 17, 2014 at 11:20 pm
  • Reply Victoria navarro ledesma

yummm everything look so delicious!!

April 18, 2014 at 1:37 pm
  • Reply Dina Farmer

So if you could ship that meal over to my son and I that would be great!

April 19, 2014 at 5:14 am
  • Reply Sharlynn Ng

Wow the end product from your kitchen is beautiful! Oh and the reason of sauce separation is that the heat was too high when you were whisking them together, you need to continuously whisk it when pouring the clarified butter into the wine and egg foam! The food all looks beautiful and so delicious! I totally need and want to make fresh pasta!

April 19, 2014 at 2:54 pm
  • Reply Emma

I'd definitely say fair deal! Seriously this looks delicious, and I always get serious Instagram envy from you!

April 21, 2014 at 8:58 am
  • Reply Bridget

That meatball with the cheese in the middle looks so incredible I'm not sure how to proceed. Maybe go to the supermarket and pick up the ingredients…B xx

April 22, 2014 at 8:03 pm

This looks so so amazing as ALWAYS. I think you blogging about his work is an amazing way to say thank you! You open the door for so many people to be able to appreciate what he does…because we DO! It's so impressive! Haha I'm so jealous, I want someone to cook for me like this.

April 23, 2014 at 7:29 pm