eat

Uncategorized

honest burgers

I’m more than a little late on the bandwagon, but it was well worth the wait to check out Honest Burgers.

Sundays have become a bit of a “treat day” for me and E, as we always do a run in the morning and are starving by brunch or lunch time. Also, there is that well known fact of calories not counting on Sundays. That works for me.

Anyway, I had felt for a while that our mission to find the best burger in London had been on hold for too long, so it was my request to finally try Honest Burgers.

We went to the one on Portobello Road, just before midday to ensure we didn’t have to queue.

After a quick peruse of the menu, E went for the Brewburger (something involving beer and candied bacon. winner all round) and I went for the Honest, basically a classic burger with everything.

So far in my burger adventures around the city, Patty & Bun have kept the top spot (alongside Admiral Codrington, but that is a “higher end” goumet burger). But now… I have to say, Honest Burgers is right up there with them. They are different but equally good – I loved the true medium rare of the beef at HB, something a lot of burger places don’t seem to do, and the chips with rosemary salt were some of the best I’ve had, albeit a little on the salty side. We both agreed that the quality of the meat was fantastic, and really couldn’t fault either creation.

I’m so glad we tried HB at long last, I’m pretty sure this will be the beginning of a beautiful friendship. (And now I want to watch Casablanca again.)

• Reply Michelle / Daisybutter

I really liked Honest Burgers too! It's probably third in my list behind Patty & Bun and Breddos Tacos in my burger ranking (:

March 24, 2014 at 9:37 am
  • Reply Ellie

it looks delicious!!

March 24, 2014 at 10:31 am
  • Reply Naomi Wilson

Love the glasses that your drinks came in! Your photos are stunning as always. I need to write a list of all these places in London.. I'm going for the weekend in a couple of weeks and i need to visit some amazing food places!N xo

March 24, 2014 at 2:34 pm
  • Reply Bridget

Mouthwatering photos as usual. The bowls they're served in are adorable also!B xx

March 24, 2014 at 2:59 pm
  • Reply Margo @ gutenblog yall!

Oh, hello! That looks sooo tasty. The fries caught my eye too. I love y'alls little Sunday tradition – Dan and I go to a non-wifi coffee shop down the street and read (like.. things on paper, it's nuts) and chat. I always look forward to it. 🙂

March 24, 2014 at 3:09 pm
  • Reply Jane

yum. i always love a good burger! and a milk shake. yum yum 🙂

March 24, 2014 at 4:12 pm

This looks soo good, and I agree with you about it being hard to find actual medium rare burgers! The drinks look really really good too! What are they? I love paper straws, they're just so aesthetically pleasing!

March 24, 2014 at 4:58 pm
  • Reply Setarra

Ooooooh medium rare? I'm more of a medium well kind of burger eater but from your description and photos, these burgers look soooo scrumptious! I'm loving the glasses that your drinks came in as well 🙂

March 24, 2014 at 5:25 pm
  • Reply Valerie

Medium rare! Good choice 🙂 I need to add Honest Burgers to my to-do list. Looks good. There are so many cool places for burgers in London. xx

March 24, 2014 at 5:51 pm
  • Reply Tamsin / A Certain Adventure

Oooh, I'm all hungry after reading this! My favourite 'gourmet burger' place is Meat Liquor – I enjoyed Patty & Bun, but it wasn't 100% love because I felt it was just that bit too greasy for me (if that's not too much of a tautology regarding a burger joint! :P) I'll definitely try this place out on your recommendation 🙂 x

March 24, 2014 at 11:40 pm
  • Reply Molly @ The Move to America

Ooh, yum, yum, yum, yum! I am so hungry now I have read this – I really could do with an awesome burger (lucky I am in the land of the burger – so it should not be hard to find one)!London does have some fantastic places to eat!

March 25, 2014 at 2:07 pm
  • Reply miho

ok, must do Beddos Tacos ASAP! x

March 25, 2014 at 8:49 pm
  • Reply miho

wish I could have given you a bite 😉 x

March 25, 2014 at 8:49 pm
  • Reply miho

oh that's exciting! you'll have plenty to choose from, London has really grown in the foodie department x

March 25, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  • Reply miho

yes i loved the bowls too! x

March 25, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  • Reply miho

that sounds like bliss 🙂 x

March 25, 2014 at 8:50 pm
  • Reply miho

ooh a milkshake would have rounded this off nicely! x

March 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply miho

the drinks were lemonade and their house cocktail (for me, haha) – really refreshing, kind of a lemon/cucumber concoction. i loved the straws too! x

March 25, 2014 at 8:51 pm
  • Reply miho

more often than not they are served medium-well which i don't mind, but i do prefer beef on the rarer side generally! probably being with E has encouraged this even more (the French believe it's a sin to eat well cooked beef steak or burger haha) x

March 25, 2014 at 8:54 pm
  • Reply miho

i knew you'd appreciate the medium rare 😉 London really is overflowing with good burger places x

March 25, 2014 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply miho

I'm dying to try Meat Liquor! it's next on my list 🙂 x

March 25, 2014 at 8:55 pm
  • Reply miho

i'm pretty sure you'll find a good one very close to you 😉 London has really improved over the last decade in terms of restaurants etc. x

March 25, 2014 at 8:56 pm
  • Reply Ursula @ Northern Ambitions

Such beautiful pictures, it makes me long for Spring 🙂

March 28, 2014 at 4:52 am
  • Reply Sharlynn Ng

Sounds so damn good! I recently tried a burger place here in singapore that I've been eyeing and because we don't have many burger places I rarely get the chance. It was amazing and like you I've jumped onto burgers! The fries sound amazing! I've never come across a place that makes their fries with herbs, I think more places must do that!

April 7, 2014 at 5:24 pm