eat

Uncategorized

gravity

This movie has had a lot of hype. Being avid film fans, we knew we wanted to see what the fuss was all about as soon as it came out. E was adamant about seeing it in IMAX (and rightly so I think, since the high quality meant that even in 3D and action packed in space, I didn’t end up feeling queasy!), so although the Wimbledon Odeon isn’t our local cinema we thought it would be worth it. (The screenings at the BFI were already sold out at the good times!)

I hate reading spoilers so I definitely will not reveal anything of the plot, but here are my thoughts…

It was a truly classy movie. In that while dealing with the most fundamental elements of being a human being, in the face of life and death and trauma and discovery, it was never once sentimental, over-dramatised, or forced in any way. Even thought the back drop is space, and with all the flair and wonder that comes with it, the story itself is such a simple and modest one that we can all relate to.

I actually initially walked out of the cinema feeling… slightly underwhelmed. I suppose with all the commotion, I expected a huge explosion of a movie that spelt everything out for me and took me on a wild ride of emotions. It definitely made me grip my seat and gnaw my lips at stressful moments, but the real impact came slower, and was so much more profound. The message of the movie sank in as time lapsed, and the next morning my mind was still filled with the questions and answers that I took from Gravity.

Please go and see it, it’s absolutely one to be watched on the big screen.

Oh, and one more thing –

You’re welcome.

• Reply Ice Pandora

I want to see Gravity as I've heard the manygood reviews about it c: Xx

November 11, 2013 at 1:10 pm
  • Reply jennie

I really want to see this, I'll have to get over my cinema phobia!! Jennie xo | sailorjennie.com

November 11, 2013 at 1:11 pm
  • Reply miho

please do! i'd love to know what you think of it x

November 11, 2013 at 3:30 pm
  • Reply miho

you have a cinema phobia?! what do you not like about it? not at all judging just really curious! x

November 11, 2013 at 3:31 pm
  • Reply Valerie

I was hesitating between watching Captain Phillips and Gravity over the weekend… Eventually went for Captain Phillips and it was amazing – so tense during the whole film! But now that I've read your review, I definitely need to go and watch Gravity soon! x

November 11, 2013 at 6:44 pm
  • Reply Emma

I know it's had so many good reviews, but I don't know, I'm just not into 'space'/disaster films like that – I know it's probably the wrong way to look at it.Sounds similar to 'seeking a friend for the end of the world' in coming to terms with death/life etc, would you say it is (if you've seen it?) xx

November 11, 2013 at 8:06 pm
  • Reply Jane

you guys look awesome 🙂 i've been wanting to see this film! the trailer was unbelievable! so scary too being out there in the vast openness of space.

November 11, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Ok are you psychic because I was just talking to my boyfriend YESTERDAY about seeing Gravity in IMAX. This post came at the perfect time! Thank you x7603876048768 for no spoilers, I HATE it when people reveal so much in reviews. All you did is make me want to do this even more. Thank you thank you!

November 12, 2013 at 12:13 am
  • Reply emi

okay needing to see this now!!!!! my husband saw it on his boys trip so guess i'll have to make it a girls night out to see it!the well-traveled wife

November 12, 2013 at 12:32 am
  • Reply To The River

I will let u know my impressions after watching it, it is in a cinema here as well. Now I have ur recommendation and Alfonso Cuaron being a good association as well;-)

November 12, 2013 at 8:41 am
  • Reply Magdalene R

Ohh I need to see this movie too!! Such a nice blog honey!!www.magdalennes.blogspot.com

November 12, 2013 at 12:05 pm
  • Reply miho

I want to see CP too! So many on the movie wish list right now x

November 12, 2013 at 8:18 pm
  • Reply miho

It's honestly nothing like seeking a friend at all, at least in my opinion – its a lot more stripped back than that. Very basic storyline but with a lot of substance. I'm not at all a space enthusiast and usually really don't tend to like films like that similarly to you, but this one surprised me! x

November 12, 2013 at 8:20 pm
  • Reply miho

Oh god I know – and E still dreams of going to space!! Nuts. x

November 12, 2013 at 8:21 pm
  • Reply miho

Argh I know – at least warn us that you're going to ruin the movie for us! Haha. I hope you get to see it! x

November 12, 2013 at 8:22 pm
  • Reply miho

A girls night swooning over George Clooney! Perfection. x

November 12, 2013 at 8:25 pm
  • Reply miho

He's an amazing director and so humble and sweet in his interviews too. Let me know what you think! x

November 12, 2013 at 8:25 pm